Samstag, 9. Februar 2013

For my English speaking friends

Due to the fact many of my friends (and also some of my family members) do not speak any German I will briefly post the facts of the last half year in English.

End of July 2012 breast cancer was diagnosed. It is a triple negative breast cancer which means the only possible treatment is chemotherapy and radiation. Hormontherapy is not an option for this type of cancer. I received my first chemotherapy on August 20th and my last one on December 3rd.

In August I also had a portacath operation (for more information please see Wikipedia Port), because the chemo was given in form of an infusion (two toxic medicins - taxothere and epirubicin). But I also had chemo in form of pills, which I had to take 14 days after the infusion. So my body had only one week to recover.
Furthermore I got an antibody therapy. Two days after the chemotherapy (infusion) I got an injection which increased my leukocytes.

During that time I felt tired and weak. The most terrible days were the third and forth day which felt as if somebody switched the power of. The nosea was not that awful because of another medicine. In sum I had to take about seven different medicines (and this without complementary medicine).

I lost my hair after the second chemo and since two weeks it has started growing again :-)

I definitely don't miss one day of this time and I am glad that is over. It is an experience I don't want to share with anybody else!

On January, 8th I had the operation - thank god - without any complications. The healing process is not over yet and thats reason why the start of the radation was postponed one week.

The two biggest parts are done (chemo and operation) and I'm now expecting the radiation. After radiation I shall receive some further chemo pills, however, these should not harm my body as much as the first chemo.

See you soon
Cheers
Kathi